Benchmarking is a process for organisations to evaluate their services through direct comparison with other similar organisations or functions.
Why should organisations benchmark?
Benchmarking helps organisation open up to new ideas and approaches. It also can provide reassurance that processes in organisations meet the universally accepted standards for the sector.
HOW DO WE BENCHMARK?
One approach could be:
• Identify the function that should be benchmarked
• Find exemplar organisations in the service to be benchmarked (the Holders Directory on this website gives contact information for organisations with Customer service Excellence)
• Discuss with your contact / ‘benchmarking partner’ the methodology for comparison
• Look for ways of ensuring that valid comparisons are made
• Discuss outcomes with all involved and the way forward
• Implement new or working practices as a result